Book Review - 1984

Wednesday, July 29, 2015


My daily bus journey takes forty minutes each way, so to me the best way to pass the time is to read a book. It really quickens the journey! I recently finished 1984 and loved it so much I had to write a review.


To summarise, 1984 is a novel written by George Orwell in 1949. The book is set in a dystopian future, and follows the character Winston Smith, a man unhappy with the loveless, boring life he leads. He hates the government of the time, a group called the Party who fill people with anti-sex, pro-war propaganda. Winston feels alone in his hope for a rebellion until he meets a like-minded woman and illegally rediscovers the joys of life.

1984 is one of the classics I've been meaning to read for a while, and I'm so glad I finally got around to it. Orwell's writing is excellent, and he brilliantly expresses the loneliness of Winston, so much so you begin to feel lonely yourself. You really empathise with Winston and feel his sadness, his excitement, his happiness and his pain consecutively. He is a very real character so it's easy to root for him.

Many people find this story to be predictable but somehow I didn't guess the ending! There's one particular moment that completely shocked me and I was just floored. From then on my heart was pretty much broken until the end of the novel.

My only criticism would be the 'filler' point of the book. There's a part where Winston receives a book called The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism. It then contains excerpts from the book that basically reiterate what we already know. It seems rather pointless and admittedly did bore me a bit.

That aside, I absolutely loved Orwell's writing. Terms such as Big Brother, doublethink and 2+2=5 all originated in this book, which shows how much this book influenced modern day life. I'm still heartbroken from the ending but that shows how great it was. Read it!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for your comment!

Subscribe